Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Working the Network

Well, today is the first day of September and I am kicking the job search into high(er) gear. That means NETWORKING.

First, I started with the Headhunters.

Companies bring in headhunters to help find candidates for various positions. You never pay a headhunter to get you a job. They get paid by the company that hires you.  You can work with as many headhunters as you need to find a job, though you will find that some are better than others making the right matches for you.

Headhunters are constantly combing the resume posting services and networking sites (like Monster and Linkedin) for potential candidates who have worked at specific companies or have a specific skill set. They get the majority of their leads from people who know people who are looking.


Each time a headhunter contacts me, I add them to my database with their name, contact information and the company they contacted me about. I've been building my list over three years (since my last layoff).   I also have a list of people that I know are looking (with email and phone numbers) in case a headhunter asks me for potential candidates.

I've shared my headhunter database with my closest friends that are also looking (most are in the same industry as me) and now I am using it for myself.

Today, I sent each of my Headhunters a personalized email with the following information:
  • my updated resume (thanks to the feedback from JobFox)
  • a description of my experience
  • what area of the country I was looking to work in
  • my desired salary range
  • the type of companies I would like to work at
  • list of companies where I have already applied directly*  (headhunters cannot get credit for introducing you to companies that already have your resume. I've also been told that it is worth consulting them first before you apply directly (through a job board), as they have a better chance of getting you in. I don't have evidence to prove otherwise, so I'll have to take their word for it (it makes sense).

Then I posted a status on Facebook
 I have never done this before, so I don't know if it will lead to anything, but you never know. If you can't count on your friends to help you in a time of crisis, who can you count on?  Here's my post (I thought it was funny.) 
ME + YOU + JOB = $$$ in your pocket *I'm a talented online marketer looking for a job. Your company has a referral bonus. Hook me up with a lead and you may collect some $$$! * Your company's referral bonus restrictions apply. Void where prohibited :)

Next stop...Linkedin.
This post will be a little more professional.  I've got hundreds of contacts on this site, hopefully one will be able to give me a good foot in the door.


This is only the first level of networking.  I'll be digging deeper later in the next few weeks.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment