Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"Time is Money..."

No doubt...the sooner you land a job, the better off you will be financially.  I don't think I need to be reminded of this...EVER.  I'm in the race to get to my next job.   I'm keeping myself busy searching, following up on leads, contacting old friends...

So when I got a call from Bonnie, who I thought was a headhunter, I followed up right away.  She asked me to send my resume and promised to call me to discuss at 12:00 on Friday.   I moved my plans around to make sure I was available for the call. 

On Friday, Bonnie called filled with compliments on my experience,  skills and education.  She asked me about my biggest frustration concerning my job hunt.  I said it was the amount of time it was taking me.  She told me that she and her team would have me working again in 4 weeks.  Her team included a resume writer, a team of letter writers and career coaches.  Bonnie's team has access to all the jobs that are not posted anywhere else.  They would do EVERYTHING for me.... send me leads, and even write my cover and thank you letters.  All I have to do is show up for the interview, and call them afterwards to tell them what happened.

After 30 minutes, Bonnie says, "How does all this sound to you?"   I had already shut down.  I knew where this was going.   But I already wasted this much time (MONEY) on the call, so I said, "Well, it sounds great, Bonnie, but I assume there is a cost involved."  Bonnie says, "Well yes, it is a service.  It costs $1,900. "    And then without skipping a beat she asks, "What credit card do you want to put this on?"

Are you kidding me??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

I asked her to email me the information and I would have to think about it.   The email comes with the following message:

Barbara

Time is money……I understand that you do have obligations but you are lucky enough to make your ends meet, now is the time to figure out how long will you luck hold out for. This window on average is 4-6 weeks ...Keep in mind, at your income level you are losing $4,000 every month you haven’t found the right position.


Thanks for the advice, Bonnie.  Do you have any words of wisdom about throwing money out the window?  Well,  I'm going to keep working on my own and I'll keep my $1900.  How do you like that?

This kind of business really pisses me off.  I hate when people prey on your insecurities.  Basically, they are saying, "You don't have a job, you can't do it on your own, and you need us to get back on your feet...so give us all your money and sit back and watch us work. "    I don't think so.

This is a tough time people, but we'll get through this.   Just remember to keep your head up.  Don't let these yo-yo's waste your time, take your money or get you down.  

In honor of my experience, I decided to pull a bunch of quotes about money.   I hope they inspire you to keep working to your next job. 

Top 10 Quotes on Money
(AKA - There's more to life...)

1)“What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us.” -- Julia Cameron

2) “Financial sense is knowing that certain men will promise to do certain things, and fail”  -- Egar Watson Howe

3) “If a man has money, it is usually a sign, too, that he knows how to take care of it; don't imagine his money is easy to get simply because he has plenty of it.” --Edgar Watson Howe

4) “The best things in life are free.”

5)  “Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust” --Oliver Wendell Holmes

6) “Money buys everything but good sense” - Yiddish Proverb

7)  “Money is the most important thing in the world. It represents health, strength, honor, generosity and beauty as conspicuously as the want of it represents illness, weakness, disgrace, meanness and ugliness.” - George Bernard Shaw

8)  “With money you can buy a house, but not a home...With money you can buy a clock, but not time...With money you can buy a book, but not knowledge...With money you can buy blood, but not life
...With money you can buy sex, but not love...So what can you buy with money???”

9) “No horse can go as fast as the money you put on it” --Earl Wilson

10) “Rich people have money, poor people have faith.” Helen Lagerberg

3 comments:

  1. THAT, is just freakin' crazy. What a terrible scam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word. Would they offer your money back if they don't find you a job in 4-6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh no...they would "stick with me for up to a year."

    ReplyDelete