Monday, September 14, 2009

Reality Check - Health Insurance

I'm a pretty healthy person, and hardly ever go to the doctor. But this weekend I got stung by a bee and was taken to the hospital by ambulance with an allergic reaction. The whole time I was going through this, I was thinking about the added expenses I was going to have to deal with AND feeling a little better about the fact that I have insurance.

I can't tell you how many people I talk to that opt to go without insurance simply because they can't afford it. That is so scary to me. You never know what blows life can deal you. I'm hoping that a) I get a good job with great benefits well before my supplemented COBRA runs out, and b) I never have to use them.

I've been so thankful for the 65% my old company has been contributing to my COBRA payments. They will be making these payments for the next few months and then I am on my own. The cost will go from $100 a month to close to $500. That's more than one unemployment check, and I still have a mortgage and other bills to pay.

This little reality check puts the health insurance debate front and center in my mind.  This is the time I need coverage the most or I could be wiped out financially. I pray that Obama and his administration do right by all Americans and that he gets the support he needs to be successful.

As many posted on Facebook:
No one should die because they cannot afford health care. No one should go broke because they get sick. No one should be denied medical care by their own insurer. No one should stay in a job because they are afraid to lose their insurance.


And here is my motivational quote of the day:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment