Friday, September 11, 2009

Friends - You can always count on them

Thanks to Facebook, "friends" is  a hot topics these days.  I love hearing stories on how people are being reconnected to old schoolmates, co-workers and even friends-of-friends.   It is an amazing phenomena.  Facebook has revived social lives, prompted informal class reunions and built new online support systems.   Mine included.

Today I have over 300 friends on Facebook, and the list grows bigger every day.  I know some people would argue that these people aren't all my real friends, but I would argue they are, in their own ways.

I'm always touched by thoughtful comments on my status updates, and the good wishes sent my way.  Some are from people I see and talk to every day, but many are not.   It makes me feel really special and lucky.  And now the leads coming from Facebook as I search for a job...unbelievable.   It just more proof (if you need it), that you really can count on your friends (on Facebook and everywhere) when you need them.

Last week, as part of my networking strategy, I tried posting a "work wanted" ad as my status on Facebook.  In my posting, I offered to help earn you a referral bonus from your employer.  I got a few immediate responses with leads (which I am in the process of pursuing).  I was happy with the results, but I figured I better go back to the drawing board with my networking strategy.   I didn't count on the friend factor...

The underlying message of my post was, "I need your help."  And that's a message that friends hear loud and clear.   In the past week, I've gotten private emails offering to connect me with various headhunters and friends-of-friends in my industry.    That's the amazing power of friends.  They are there for you when you need them the most.

As Thomas Jefferson once said, "But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life; and thanks to a benevolent arrangement of things, the greater part of life is sunshine."   I couldn't have said it better myself.  And I am looking forward to enjoying the sunshine with (and thanks to the help of) my friends.

Today, in honor of my 300+ friends on Facebook, and everywhere, I would like to share these friendship quotes.   Send one to your friend and let them know how special they are to you.

Top 10 Quotes that Celebrate Friendship:
(AKA - thank you for being a friend)

1) "Life's truest happiness is found in friendships we make along the way.”

2) “Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.”

3) “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” -Woodrow T. Wilson

4) “Of all the things which wisdom provides to make life entirely happy, much the greatest is the possession of friendship” -Epicurus

5) “Life has no pleasure higher or nobler than that of friendship”-Samuel Johnson

6) “A man's friendships are one of the best measures of his worth”-Charles Darwin

7) “There are not many things in life so beautiful as true friendship, and not many things more uncommon.”

8) “Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!”- Amanda Bradley

9) “True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island..to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.” - Baltasar Gracian

10) “So long as we love, we serve; so long as we are loved by others, I should say that we are almost indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend.” - Robert Louis Stevenson


So that's my quotes on Friendship...Have any stories or quotes you would like to share?  Post a comment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment