Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Keep the Faith - Top 10 inspirational quotes for the Unemployed

Today was a "down day" for me.

When I was doing dishes this morning, I was actually thinking, "What I am doing wrong? Could I be sending out more resumes? Should I be doing more networking? Why is interview process at company xyz going soooooo slow?"

Then, I got the results of the free critique of my resume from my "friends" at Jobfox. The "candidate consultant," Melanie said, "I found it [my resume] to be drab, uninspiring, and unlikely to catch anyone’s attention. If you were selling yourself as sushi, it’s as if your resume is saying "cold, dead, raw fish." Nice. Don't hold back Melanie. I think I know of some cute puppies you can kick.

To be fair, Melanie also had some constructive criticism on how I could make my resume better. After I got over my initial upset, I actually found her advice helpful and I am now in the process of making changes. Melanie also offered to fix my resume for $399. I'm going to pass. First of all, I feel like that is cheating. I'm a marketer...if I can't market myself, then what the heck can I market? Secondly, $399 in this economy??? I don't think so.

Anyway, I am not a "down day" type of person...and I hope you are not either. I've put together a list of my favorite inspirational quotes to keep you up when you get down.

Top 10 Inspirational Quotes (For the Unemployed) (AKA Keep the Faith & Keep on Trucking Quotes)


1) The sun'll come out...Tomorrow. So ya gotta hang on 'Til tomorrow, come what may. Tomorrow!Tomorrow!I love ya Tomorrow! You're always a day A way!
Annie <--- Sing it...you'll feel better instantly.

2) The best way out is always through.
Robert Frost

3) We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.
Winston Churchill

4)Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

5) The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.
Earl of Beaconsfield

6) There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying things which are beyond the power of our will.
Epictetus

7) A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds.
Francis Bacon

8) Energy and persistence conquer all things.
Benjamin Franklin

9)Our greatest glory consist not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Oliver Goldsmith

10) What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?
Gerald Barzan <--- This one makes me laugh...


So that's my list. What words of wisdom do you turn to to make it through the tough times?

No comments:

Post a Comment