Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day, Dammit!

Labor Day was a creation of the labor movement to celebrate the social and economic achievements of American workers.  In these times, these achievements should include keeping your head above water.

We've had hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wars, market slides, and hitting our country harder than ever. Businesses are closing, people are defaulting on bills, losing their homes, and hope.   Some people try to fight the good fight, while others concede that they can't win for trying. 

According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, "...the unemployment  rate held at 9.1 percent this year...  Employment in most major industries changed little over the month"  That's scary.  Obama is out there trying to rally the country, but he's been trying to do that for 3 years...its not working.  In fact, looking back to one of my first posts in 2009, the rate is up from 8.6%!!!

This Labor Day, like many Americans, I celebrated on the beach.  But unlike every other Labor Day that I can remember, I am 100% thankful for the opportunities I have been given in the past year to contribute to the Labor Force...and after a nice relaxing weekend, I am looking forward to another day at "Elastic."

I pray for all my friends fighting the good fight in these tough times.  I know we will all  make it...we have to keep on. 


Barb's Top 5 Labor Day Quotes

Work isn't to make money; you work to justify life. ~Marc Chagall


A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity. ~Thomas Jefferson


A bad day at work is better than a good day in hell. - Scott Johnson


One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. -- Elbert Hubbard

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.-- Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment