Monday, September 26, 2011

Find NEW Cheese!

When I was in Grad School we were required to read the book, "Who Moved My Cheese?"  by Spenser Johnson, MD. It had any ugly cover and I always hated assigned reading.  Of course, I wanted to pass the class, so I cracked the book open and read it.

After a few pages in it was clear that this is not a boring business book.  This book was different. It was a really short story about two mice, Sniff and Scurry, and two humans, Hem and Haw, a maze and some cheese.  

It took all about  an hour to read (if that). The story was simple, but the lesson was big:  If someone moves your cheese, you can keep going back to where it used to be, hoping it will come back.  Or you can plan ahead, anticipate change and find more cheese.

You can apply this book to your business, your career and to your life.  Things change.  They always do. You have to decide how to deal with this change.


A few years ago, I bought copies for my staff  and we spent a few hours talking about how it applied to our team, the industry we were working in, and our own development. (they were not happy about assigned reading either...but they enjoyed the exercise.).   I got the books for $2.00 each on Alibris, but you can also read it for free online.

Today, I open the book once in a while to remind me that I always have to be planning ahead. Each time I read it, I apply it to something different in my life.  Today I have a good situation at Elastic, but I am pretty sure it won't last forever.  Numbers are down...cuts will be made. Will my cheese be moved?  What will I do to find more cheese?  What can I do to prepare for change?

These are questions I need to ask before the change happens.  This book helps you see how important it is to do this.

Barb's Top 5 quotes about change (inspired by Spencer Johnson, author of Who Moved My Cheese?):
  • “What would you do if you weren't afraid?”― Spencer Johnson
  • “Change happens when the pain of holding on becomes greater than the fear of letting go.”― Spencer Johnson
  • “Noticing small changes early helps you adapt to the bigger change that are to come”― Spencer Johnson
  • "What you are afraid of is never as bad as what you imagine. The fear you let build up in your mind is worse than the situation that actually exists.”― Spencer Johnson
  • "When you are afraid things are going to get worse if you don't do something, it can prompt you into action. But it is not good when you are afraid that it keeps you from doing anything.”― Spencer Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment