Thursday, July 23, 2009

Top 10 Ways to Keep in Shape While Unemployed

One of my biggest concerns about losing my job is the fact that my daily routine is now out of wack. When I was working, breakfast, lunch, dinner, exercise and sleep were scheduled around the eight-hour "work day." Now, until I find my next job, my "work day" is whatever I want it to be. That is way too much freedom for me.

Any time "life interruptions" (like this one) happen to me, diet and exercise are the first things go out the window. So I developed a list of guidelines to keep me on track.

Here are my top 10 ways to keep in shape while unemployed:

1)Wake up and get dressed at a decent hour.
For me, a decent hour is 8:30. I have found that if I don't get dressed early in the day, I will stay in my PJ's ALL day. And 9 times out of 10, that means a full day of watching TV, back and forth to the fridge and little to no exercise. Don't fall into this habit. Getting dressed leads to going outside and moving.

2)Plan your day around the gym class schedule.
I made a daily schedule of classes I like at the gym. Some are in the morning, and some are in the evening. It doesn't matter. I know I have to get out of the house sometime during the day. I have to drive to the gym, so while I am out, I try to get as many errands done as possible. If you can't afford the gym, excercise DVDs are the next best thing. Create your own "gym schedule." Work out at home with Jillian Michaels, and Denise Austin. Its something to do when you don't have anything else going on.

3)Keep your car parked. Walk (or bike ride) whenever you can.
A walk or bike ride keeps your body moving, keeps you out of the house, and best of all saves gas money. I get my best ideas (including this blog) on my outings. You have more time to spare now. Take advantage of that.

4)Make lists of things you have to do for tomorrow.
This is another way to make sure you don't end up in front of the TV all day. I love the sense of accomplishment of crossing things off my list. You can put ANYTHING on this list, from making the bed, to doing a job search, to going to the gym. The more things outside of the house the better. But no matter what the task, the list keeps you moving.

5)Keep the junk food out of the house.
No matter how much you plan, a good portion of your day is going to be in your house, and that is way too much access to the fridge and the pantry. I personally don't have the self control to not eat the bad foods. Keeping them out of the house is the best way to keeping them out of your mouth.

6)Stop eating out.
First of all, making your own meals saves money. Second of all, you maintain control of your eating habits. Eating out was one of my favorite "out-of-the-house activities," but this makes staying healthy very difficult. Making your meals at home will keep your eating on track.

7)Get creative with your cooking.
You can't say you don't have the time. I enjoy good food. And now I have the time to make it. I invite over my friends, or freeze the leftovers for another day. Healthy food can taste good...it tastes even better when YOU make it with love!

8)Become a tourist in your own city.
Every city has free activities...take advantage! My friend and I decided to go visit parks and museums around the city. Its (virtually) a free activity and it gets us out of the house. We've been thinking of some business ideas based on our outings. Get yourself outside, get some exercise and open your eyes...opportunities are out there, you just have to find them.

9)Get a new (active) hobby.
Get creative. Find something you like to do that keeps you active. Right now, my new hobby is biking. I mostly do it on the weekends, but I can see it creeping into my week days. You get where you are going faster, and you get to go farther than you can walking. Consider Racquetball, Tennis, Bird Watching...all good. Just do it.

10)Go to bed at a decent hour.
This goes hand in hand with tip number one. I find it easy to get in the habit of going to bed late, because I don't have to get up early. But that's not healthy. You can't get up at a decent hour, if you are going to bed late. And on top of that, sleep is a key factor in weight loss. Get to bed and start your days off FRESH.


Well that's my Top 10 tips for Unemployment Health. Probably the golden rule of all of them is "Practice what you preach." I'm going to bed. I have a big list for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment