Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cobra - Its bite kills you instantly (or financially).

Today I have to start paying for COBRA...And like the snake, its bite hurts. I would consider just flying solo with no insurance like many people do, but with my luck, that would come and bite me even harder. So I'll pay, and hope I never need it.

I'm lucky. I had 3 months of benefits paid by my old company. And now, thanks to the government, and The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), they have to pay 65% for the next six months (for a total of 9 months). That means instead of paying over $400 a month, I only pay about $150 for my medical and dental. I look at this as an incredible gift from the unemployment gods.

I am planning on ending this blog well before we get to the 9 month mark. At that point, my expenses will jump well beyond my savings. Talk about stress, which really does a number to your health!

Here's an inspirational quote from Ben Franklin:
While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.


Take care of yourselves, people...We will get through this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment