Thursday, October 1, 2009

Get Out There!


Today I had an unexpectedly fun day at my remote office at Panera on Staten Island. 

It started like any other day there.  I put up my regular post on Facebook: "I will be at the remote office (Panera) Wed at 12ish. Stop by and have a coffee with me!" and updated my profile picture with the one on the left.

I've been doing this kind of stuff for 3 months, and while I get lots of comments, up until today, only one friend has come to visit me. Today, the planets aligned, and I had three guests. It was a Panera Party! 

I was so excited!  I couldn't wait to update my status on facebook as each guest arrived  (their visits were actually staggered, I couldn't have scheduled it that way if I tried). It was great.  I had nice conversations with each of my friends, and felt really lucky to get this extra time with them. 

I know what you are thinking...big deal. But you know what? It was.  It was a great day.  I felt energized. And it all started with me doing one thing...getting out of the house.

Days like today don't happen every time I go out. My friends aren't always around to keep me company, but I find that 9 times out of 10,  getting out of the house gets my mind going, my energy flowing and the ideas coming.  My inspirations come from random conversations I had while out, things I have seen in my journies, or something that comes to my mind  when I am out and about. In the past few weeks alone, I've come up with ideas for making money, a website for my friends business, and even topics for this blog.

When you are working, you get all this stimulation during your morning commute, coffee breaks and daily interactions with your coworkers.  But when you are unemployed, you have to make your own day.  Sometimes easier said than done.

Its VERY tempting to stay in the house in PJs, write cover letters, send out  resumes and catch up on daytime tv EVERY DAY, especially these days when the job market slow, and your phone isn't ringing and the interviews aren't coming.  Some days I don't even want to get out of bed. But that's not healthy.  You and your mind deserve better than that. 

So I say, send out your resumes and cover letters, but do that when you get up in the morning or before you go to bed at night.  Seize the day, and get out there and smell the roses and have fun! You don't have to spend a fortune.  Visit museums and parks, go for walks, ride your bike, visit a library, or go to the gym.  Just get outside.

In honor of this topic, here are my  Top 10 Quotes about Experiencing Life (AKA Get out There)

“Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.”  --William Plomer

“You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. This is not an easy struggle. Indeed, it may be the most difficult task in the world, for opening” --Daisaku Ikeda

"Many people know so little about what is beyond their short range of experience. They look within themselves - and find nothing! Therefore they conclude that there is nothing outside themselves either." --Helen Keller

"Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don't wait for something to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it's at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored." --Earl Nightingale


"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today." --Dale Carnegie


". . . it's worth recognizing that there is no such thing as an overnight success. You will do well to cultivate the resources in yourself that bring you happiness outside of success or failure. The truth is, most of us discover where we are headed when we arrive. At that time, we turn around and say, yes, this is obviously where I was going all along. It's a good idea to try to enjoy the scenery on the detours, because you'll probably take a few.” Bill Watterson


“Life is a series of experiences, each of which makes us bigger, even though it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.” --Henry Ford

"Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music-the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." --Henry Miller
 
 
“Creativity is a lot like looking at the world through a kaleidoscope. You look at a set of elements, the same ones everyone else sees, but then reassemble those floating bits and pieces into an enticing new possibility." --Rosabeth Moss Kanter


The life of the creative man is lead, directed and controlled by boredom. Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes.” --Susan Sontag

 
So go ahead, send out your resumes and then GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!  Who knows...your next employment opportunity might be right outside your door!

1 comment:

  1. When you start working again, you won't have the time to do what you want, so yes, take this opportunity and enjoy the free time : )

    ReplyDelete