Tuesday, October 6, 2009

5 Prayers for the Unemployed

When you are unemployed, you need all the help you can get. Friends and family support you and lift you up as much as they can. But sometimes, you need a little extra lift. I think that's where God comes in. 

Before I go any further, I want to be clear that my intention of this post is not to throw God down anyone's throat; I wouldn't want that done to me. I had reservations about even posting about this topic at all, but in the end I decided to go ahead and do it.  My intentions are good.  I just want to offer another way of dealing with, or thinking about unemployment (or any difficult situation you may encounter).

I personally believe that God has a plan for me, and my unemployment is just part of his plan. It doesn’t mean that I sit back and wait for a job to come to me.  As you know, I work on finding a new job every day.  But believing that my situation this is part of something bigger than me, helps me keep from getting over-stressed.

Similarly, I believe that everything happens for a reason. In this case either I am meant to be doing something else with this time, or there is a lesson that I need to learn or something else I am supposed to be paying attention to.  While it is sometimes frustrating not knowing what the reason is, when I finally figure it out I know I will be thankful (and see the genius of God's bigger plan).

I also believe in the power of prayer. I find it to be an opportunity to connect with God and to become clear on what it is I really want and need. I personally like the idea of handing my problems over to God and knowing that he is working on it, while I'm working on it from my end.

At the end of the day, this is a tough time for everyone--ourselves, our families, and our friends. It is so important to stay positive and keep looking for opportunities to move forward in our lives. You never know where or when the next opportunity is going to come. You just have to be ready and open to it.

In closing this topic, I've pulled together a few prayers that deal with the issue of unemployment. I found four on the web and wrote one of my own.  Do you have one you would like to share? 


5 Prayers for the Unemployed

Prayer for Employment
God, our Father, I turn to you seeking your divine help and guidance as I look for suitable employment. I need your wisdom to guide my footsteps along the right path, and to lead me to find the proper things to say and do in this quest. I wish to use the gifts and talents you have given me, but I need the opportunity to do so with gainful employment. Do not abandon me, dear Father, in this search, but rather grant me this favor I seek so that I may return to you with praise and thanksgiving for your gracious assistance. Grant this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Source: Catholic Online



Prayer for the Unemployed
Dear Father in Heaven, and all the Saints who are known to help those in most need, especially Saint Joseph, Saint Jude, Saint Anthony, Saint Therese, and Saint Josemaria, we humbly beg you to hear our cries for help to provide work and income for those among us who need just those things, patience and loving trust in your Divine Providence for those who must wait for these things to come, and strength, creativity, inspiration, guidance, and energy for those who must search and struggle to find these things. We trust in Your desire to answer our prayers as quickly as possible; we believe in Your holy promise to provide daily bread, and we ask you to respond mercifully to so many prayers, from so many of us, for our brothers and sisters in need. Thank you. We love you. Amen.
Source: Catholic City.



Prayer to St. Joseph, Patron of Workers
O Saint Joseph, we pray to you for those who are out of work, for those who want to earn their living or support their families. You who are the patron of workers, grant that unemployment may vanish from our ranks; that all those who are ready to work may put their strength and abilities in serving their fellowmen and earn a just salary. You are the patron of families; do not let those who have children to support and raise lack the necessary means. Have pity on our brothers and sisters held down in unemployment and poverty because of sickness or social disorders. Help our political leaders and captains of industry find new and just solutions. May each and every one have the joy of contributing, according to his abilities, to the common prosperity by an honorable livelihood. Grant that we may all share together in the abundant goods God has given us and that we may help underprivileged countries. Amen.
Source: Catholic Prayerbook



Prayer for the Unemployed
Dear Lord Jesus Christ,
You wanted all who are weary to come to You for support. Lord, I am worn out by my inability to find work. Guide my steps to a righteous path; Give me the patience to find opportunities with a future. Calm my worries and fears as my financial responsibilities mount. Strengthen my resolve; Embolden my heart to open doors; Open my eyes to see life beyond rejections. Help me believe in me. Let me realize other ways to bring about Your kingdom on earth. Let me grow as a person that I may be worthy for Your greater glory. In the name of the Father. Amen.
Source: Catholic Doors



My Prayer for the Unemployed
Dear God,
I know you never give me a situation I cannot handle and for everything that happens in my life you have a plan for me. I ask that you give me the strength to stay positive during this difficult time, and continue to help me to find the brighter sides in my dark days, and guide me to a better future. I ask that you help others who are also struggling with unemployment, those who are lost, and those who are stressed financially and spiritually, that they may also find relief from their burdens. I trust in you, God. Amen


1 comment: