Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The first cut is the deepest - Dealing with Rejection in the Job Search

Well, I have been pretty positve this whole experience.  But this weekend, I hit bottom. I just got my first major rejection, and boy did it hurt. 

When I first interviewed with this employer, I wasn't even excited about working there.  It wasn't close to my first choice of places to work, but the more I interviewed with these people (total of 5 hours), the more I wanted the job.  They were so considerate of my time, and were so prepared for the interview, I kept thinking how much I would enjoy working with these people.

Then a week after my last interview at the office, I got the rejection email.  To be honest, it was a pretty nice let down (I'm telling you, they were incredibly considerate).  And while I was sincerely thankful that they even contacted me, the timing was off (for me).  It was Friday afternoon, the week of my birthday and broken laptop, and the eve of alumni weekend at college (which I wasn't looking forward to attending as it was).  It knocked me right down. 

My weekend was a bust.  The Alumni picnic went out the window, my friends got a shell of the real me, dished piled in the sink, my house looked like a bomb hit it and I felt exhaused. I was down.

On Monday,  I cleaned house and got myself back into the fight.  I went to bed early and started Tuesday back on track.  I know rejection is par for the course and I really thought I was ready for this whole experience, sometimes you just can never be too ready for what is going to come your way.  Well they say, "the first cut is the deepest."  Hopefully, I'm better prepared for the next one. I hate ruining a good weekend on sad thoughts.

I know it is hard people, but we will get through this...better days are around the corner. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear this, Barb. Obiviously it was close, or they wouldn't have spent so much time talking to you. So continue to charm and here's to the next one.

    ReplyDelete