Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Money...easy go...

Well, as you know, I'm working and I am very thankful for the income.  My plan is to start paying off my debt and get back to saving.  Thankfully, I have been very frugal over my year of unemployment, so it shouldn't take too long to do this (as long as I stay on track.).

But you see, there are powerful forces working against my plan.  Some I can control, some I cannot. 

First, there is insurance. Cobra is over.  I am on my own.  I just applied to the Freelancers union.  Membership in the union is free, but you have to prove your temp, or independent contractor status with invoices, paystubs and contracts.  I can look forward to $500 a month for coverage.  This is annoying because I NEVER GET SICK.  But I am too OLD, and too smart to go without insurance. So it is what it is.

And, now that I am working in the city, I have new expenses. I pay $50 a week for travel, I had to change my Gym membership to the city (since I can't get home in time for classes at the SI gym) that's another  $35 extra month, and I needed to spend about $500 to get some work appropriate clothes for the Fall (my old clothes are OLD....no lie!).  A winter wardrobe of equal or greater value will be around the corner. 

Those are the things out of my control.

Then there are the things that I can control, but don't want to...Like paying for lunch in the city, or going out and not worrying about not spending too much money.  Its so hard now that I have income.  I want to live again, and do things and enjoy myself.  It is only natural. 

But, I'm still in temp limbo at "Elastic," so I have to be careful.

You know what they say about money...easy come, easy go.  But I am working against this!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment