Monday, August 10, 2009

I'm not going to let you kick ME in the Teeth...bucko!

I am so sick of these sites that allow you to upload your resume, only to find out you have to pay to apply to any of the jobs that they have listed. I'm specifically speaking of TheLadders.com, but I am sure there are others out there doing the same nonsense.

First they sent me an invitation to load my resume, then they APPROVED my resume. Today I was searching the site, and found some interesting listings, when I went to apply, I was blocked and asked to upgrade now to premium membership so I can submit my resume for this listing. SERIOUSLY???? You are wasting my time.

I realize, its not a crazy amount of money...$15 a month. But, I am unemployed. I am living on a fixed income. I do not have the extra cash to gamble on a chance that your website MIGHT get me an interview. In fact, I am seriously wondering if any of the sites will get me in the door.

Here's my list of places (to date) that try to kick you when you are down.

1) Resume Writing Services - $300 for a revised resume.
First of all, I think with the exception of a few careers, if you need someone to write your resume for you so you can get a job, you have a problem. Its like buying a term paper. Secondly, I don't like the way these services market to you. They tear you down, when you are at your lowest. And 3rd...I just think that is way too much to charge for this kind of service.

2) Unemployment Benefits - TAXABLE income.
I'm living on a FIXED INCOME that the government FIXED for me. Now I have to PAY back the government on the pittance that they gave me to survive. I'm taking the full amount now, but I know I'll feel it come tax day. While everyone is enjoying a nice fat return, I'll be happy if I don't end up owing the gov.

3) Online Banking. No direct deposit - Free Checking is GONE.
Yeah...I'm unemployed. I get a direct deposit of zero. So this is when you are going to decide to charge me? Thanks a lot.

Well that's my top 3, I am sure there are more. What's your pet peeve for unemployment?

1 comment:

  1. Your unemployment benefits are not completely paid by the government. Your employer had to pay state and federal unemployment taxes on your behalf while you were working so that you could receive the payments later.

    While it stinks to pay taxes when you are out of work, it is extra income and you do get to defer it until tax time

    The recent ARRA legislation that was passed allows the first $2400 in unemployment to be federal tax free. Between that and the 65% COBRA subsidy and the extension of unemployment time frames, this may be a better time to be out of work than any other.

    But pying for job boards? Ridiculous! the employer should be paying not the potential employee!

    ReplyDelete