Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One Year On the Job! YAY

Well, its been a year of Full Time on staff at Elastic.  Soooo nice.

We've had a lot of staff changes...new bosses and bosses-bossses.  Its been a roller coaster, but I am hanging on!   The highlight of my year was a trip to the DMA in Vegas.  It was nice to be out there and see what was going on in the industry (I gambled...but I also learned that Vegas on a business trip isn't like Vegas with your friends!)
Being full time makes you feel more secure.  As a result I spent quite a bit of money....like I hit lotto. 
  • I went on a very big vacation (actually 2)
  • I put in a new kitchen and added a bathroom to my condo
  • I started loosening the pursestrings.
I also gained a ton of weight.

I haven't done all the things I promised myself I would do.  I need get back on my game...Networking and building my skill sets.  I need to get into shape (AGAIN) and start saving.

I am not going to lie.  I wouldn't be so worried about the paragraph above if the economy was doing great.  No company is really safe right now...its quarter to quarter. For every job you hear someone getting, another person has a story of getting laid off. New York State’s unemployment rate decreased from 8.9% in September 2012 to 8.7% in October 2012. That's still pretty high.

Fingers crossed that I don't have to really blog again for another year....but if I do...I do. If I learned anything, you can't stress over things you can't control.

“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”
Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

 


No comments:

Post a Comment