Thursday, March 24, 2011

Taking time to do what is important

So as anyone who reads my blog knows, a day off costs me (ALOT).   I always have to think twice about taking a sick day, or time for a doctor's appointment or vacation.  But when it comes to my work with SI Career Coaches with teens at McKee Technical High School, I really don't think twice. I just do it.

The SI Career Coaches mentor students as they prepare to enter the business world.   We help them with their resumes and get them ready for interviews.   I actually helped found SI Career Coaches in 2010 when I was unemployed.  I'm not going to lie, it felt a little weird to be coaching students on their career when I was didn't have a job myself, but I was an "expert" on interviewing, so why not?  In introducing myself, I shared my story and what I was doing to keep going during a tough economy.


When the program started up again this year I wasn't sure if I could commit.  I have my gig at Elastic.  I felt the push-pull of "This is going to cost me" and "I really want to do this." The "I really want to do this won over." Thankfully.

A few weeks ago, I went to McKee to kick off the 2011 program with the Career Coaches. I was so happy to see familiar faces of students we mentored last year. Many shared that they found the program helpful and many found jobs after we visited.   Tomorrow, I'm going back to conduct mock interviews with the students.  Its so worth it.

 McKee Tech and its students are absolutely amazing.  They teach everything from cooking, cutting hair, fixing cars, carpentry, graphic design--you name it, they do it.  These kids get a great high school education and many can go right into their trades after school.  The success of this school really is the Principal, Sharon Henry and Assistant Principal, Jim Barbieri.  They have created a amazing environment for the students to learn and grow.  I am just so impressed by what they have done.  (So much so that I am blogging about it).   I wish I could go there myself.

Sometimes, money isn't everything.  I think this is one of those times.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"A good deed is like peeing in your pants. Everyone knows you did it, but only you can feel it's warmth.”


Anyone interested in joining the SI Career Coaches should contact Valarie Contrino at valarie@contrinotravel.com.  For more about the program, visit our blog at sicareercoaches.blogspot.com







2 comments: